Recent Articles

Tuesday 26 April 2011

Selecting the right dog for you and your family


Hi, everybody! For those of you that don't know me, my name is Scotch. Today, I want to talk to you about an issue that is very important to me -- selecting the right dog for your family. I, myself was very fortunate to be adopted by a wonderful and loving family, but a lot of dogs aren't as lucky as me. It's not because they were bad dogs or the owners were bad people, but because the two just were not compatible. Sometimes these things happen, but in the end, it's usually my pals and I that get hurt.

The first thing that you humans have to understand is that we dogs are like you guys in more ways that you know. Each of us has different personalities and temperaments that make us special and unique. For instance, I'm more of an easy going, laid back dog, while my cousin Spot is high strung and barks at everything. Obviously, Spot wouldn't be happy living in a home where he was forced to be quiet all day and didn't get the attention that he wants. Buying a dog is kind of like finding your boyfriend or girlfriend. You have to find someone that is compatible with your lifestyle or things can go bad quickly.

Another thing that you need to watch out for when buying a puppy is how big we may get in the future. A lot of people see us as puppies and underestimate how big we'll grow in the months to come. Do a little research first before buying one of us to make sure that you'll have room for us when we finish growing up.

There are also some practical issues that you need to consider before adopting one of us. We're like little kids and you'll be responsible for taking care of us including feeding, grooming, and taking us to the veterinarian. Dog food can be expensive, so if you are on a tight budget, you might not want to adopt a dog like my cousin Cookie who is a big dog and likes to eat everything in sight. Instead, you might want to pick a smaller dog that doesn't need to eat as much. A lot of us also like looking as good as we can by taking a trip to the groomer. My cousin Queenie, who has long hair, needs to go several times a year to keep her coat looking fabulous. Then you have my other cousin, Rex that doesn't need to go at all. I like to call dogs that have a lot of hair high maintenance, while those with shorter coats are lower maintenance dogs. A final practical concern that you'll have to deal with is our health. We get sick like you guys and need routine checkups to make sure we're healthy and happy. On top of that, some breeds have a predisposition to developing certain diseases and conditions. I'm not saying that every dog of a certain breed will have issues, but that you should be aware of any potential problems that might pop up in the future.

Now that I've finished with the lecture, what are you waiting for? Go out and adopt a dog!


Scotch LeSamoyed
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment